ARC's Green Initiative
Army Residence Community honors the planet with a conscious Go Green effort that pervades every aspect of life at this community. Our green initiative is a corporate-led campaign that is enthusiastically supported by residents.
From our corporate commitment to limit energy usage, control emissions, and conserve natural resources to the commitment of individual residents to reduce their environmental footprint, we are working to save the planet.
We are creating an environment that supports longer, healthier, higher quality lives for our residents – a goal that is easily compatible with green initiatives. Before launching our plan, the ARC conducted a complete audit of all facilities and we are continually discovering and implementing innovative ways to reduce energy consumption, including:
- Blown insulation in cottages and duplex cottages to increase energy efficiency
- Foam insulation on exterior walls to minimize air infiltration through wall sockets
- Solar attic fans in cottages and duplex cottages to evacuate heat
- Solar hot water units on the roof of the High Rise, resulting in one of the largest hot water systems in the nation
- New HVAC units in the cottages that improved our SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating) from 7 to 18 and cut energy consumption in half
- Variable speed chiller system in the High Rise to deliver cold water for cooling the building; previously, the motors ran continuously, now they run on demand, increasing efficiency and decreasing gas emissions
- Energy Star appliances in residences to save energy and protect the environment
- LED bulbs to save energy
- Constructing all new facilities under the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building concept for maximum reduction of green house emissions
- Capturing groundwater for landscape irrigation in the expansion project
- Xeriscape landscape in the expansion project that will use native plants and grasses to significantly reduce water consumption